My Mum always said, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink”. The same can be said for potential clients of your Virtual Assistant business. You can meet with them, do your best to get them on board, but they don’t need to hire you.
While I agree with what my Mother used to say, I also look at it this way, ‘it’s their problem, not mine if they don’t like me’. I like me, so I don’t take it to heart. Let’s face it, not everyone I meet is going to love or even like me, and we all need to toughen up a bit and not take it to heart. It took me a while to work it out, but it is perfectly alright for someone not to like me, after all, I don’t like everyone? Personalities will clash, it’s a given and there isn’t anything we can do to change that.
You can knock yourself out trying to be everything to everyone, trying to please them with busting yourself getting the job done on time; on budget but take it from me, it isn’t worth it. You’re much better than that.
5 Great Reasons Why It Is Okay Not To Be Liked
If someone doesn’t like you, it’s empowering and here are 5 reasons why:
- You don’t need to pretend – It’s liberating when you are yourself, pretending to be someone/something you are not can be such a drag, and a wasted investment in your time. It doesn’t work out well in the end.
2. It makes you tougher – Man up, is a phrase I say often. Always in jest, and never serious. Keeping emotions in check when you know someone doesn’t care for you can be hard to do. The temptation to haul off and give them an earful is often there. See point 5 for more inspiration.
3. You can say no more often – this comes with practice, but if someone doesn’t like you, it’s easier to say no to them. When it comes to your clients, you shape your sanity with what you say yes and no to. Disclaimer: It is also perfectly alright to say no to the people you do like also.
4. It’s okay to be the unpopular one – Someone has to be; we can’t all be the prom queen right or want to be for that matter? Sometimes we try to be, we want what’s on trend, we try hard to dress like, look like, feel like. But in the end, we are nothing like. Being an individual shows strength of character and is to be admired. So next time you miss out on that next big thing, don’t sweat it because something better is headed your way.
5. You will always be the better person – Self-talk is a winner here. Affirmations, goals, targets is a wonderful way to keep you on track and motivated. Be proud of who you are and what you’ve achieved, no matter how far along your journey you are.
If you are yourself, you will always be the better person.
Do you need help getting on top of your virtual assistant business? If so, you need a Virtual Assistant coach to help you be the best that you can be. Click here to find out how.